Here are settings and extensions that I use in Firefox.
- Do Not Track: Always
- Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows
- Enable DNS over HTTPS
- Address Bar -- Firefox Suggest > Shortcuts: Uncheck
- browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab: false
- browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent: false
- browser.search.openintab: true
- browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs: true
- browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing: false
When you load a large image in a new tab, Firefox will resize the image to fit the window.
This preference allows you to load or refresh a stand-alone image without having to click to zoom.
Firefox Multi-Account Containers
Swift Selection Search
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
I create many Firefox profiles. And, while it is nice to have these steps enumerated, the process of creating a Firefox profile is not as easy as it could be.
To that end, I have a new process where I create a new Firefox profile, copy my default settings from a template, and then customize the new profile. I am following the instructions for backing up and restoring Firefox profiles. The instructions are linked below. In this way, I have most of the settings saved in the template. And then all I have to do for the new profile is add a home page and log in. I no longer have to go over the list above and change every setting.
Make sure to check your search engine after customizing. I've found Firefox likes to reset the search to Google.
The bookmarklets below generate a formatted link for the current page. Click on the bookmarklet and copy the link from the prompt.
Gemini Link Bookmarklet
Markdown Link Bookmarklet
Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles | Firefox Help
- Added bookmarklets.
- Added information about using a template profile.
- Changed Heading to about:preferences
- Removed New Tab Override and Tab Reloader.
- Added Tab Reloader.
- Added preference to disable image resizing.
- Added New Tab Override.
- Added Privacy Badger.
- Added DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.
- Added NoScript.
- Added Swift Selection Search.
- Added Greasemonkey.
- Open bookmarks in a new tab.
- Added open search results in a new tab.
Created: Tuesday, April 26, 2022
Updated: Tuesday, November 22, 2022